A birth verification is a letter that states whether or not a birth was registered with the State of Louisiana. If you need proof of birth to receive your child’s birth certificate, the Health Information Management department can prepare a birth verification for you. This document contains the baby’s name, date and time of birth, place of birth and parents’ names.
To receive a birth verification, contact the Woman’s Birth Certificate Department at 225-924-8753. It can be picked up in the Health Information Management Department, Monday through Friday between 8:00 AM-4:30 PM.
Birth verifications can be obtained:
- In person by one of the baby’s parents, if he or she is listed on the birth certificate and has a picture ID.
- By mail to the address listed on the birth certificate.
If someone other than the parents is picking up the birth verification:
- One of the parents must either obtain or have an authorization form faxed to them from the Health Information Management Department.
- The form must be completed and signed by a parent listed on the birth certificate.
- The completed form must be either carried or faxed back to Woman’s Birth Certificate Department at 225-924-8735.
- The person picking up the birth verification must present a picture ID.