Woman’s Lab performs more than 400,000 laboratory tests each year for adults, children and infants that support hospital and clinic services. All tests are performed by trained medical professionals and analyzed by the experts from the Pathology Group of Louisiana and the Cary Dougherty Cancer Detection Laboratory.
At Woman’s Lab we believe that lab testing should be as quick, convenient and comprehensive as possible. We are proud that patients consistently report high levels of satisfaction with our laboratory testing services on the Press Ganey patient satisfaction survey. We do everything we can to make our laboratory accessible and accommodating for you, your family and our entire community.
Speak up and tell your doctor that you choose Woman’s Lab.
Hospital Laboratory Inpatient Services
Hours of Operation: 24 hours a day
Outpatient Laboratory Services
Regular Hours of Operation
- Monday through Friday, 7:00 AM-5:30 PM
- Saturday, 7:00 AM-1:00 PM
- Sunday, Closed
After hours & Specimen drop-off
NOTE: Admitting, located on the hospital first floor.
- Monday through Friday, 6:00 PM-8:00 PM
- Saturday, 1:00 PM-8:00 PM
- Sunday, 10:00 AM-8:00PM
Glucose Tolerance Hours
- Glucose Tolerance test - TWO hour fasting
Testing must begin before 10:00 AM
- Glucose Tolerance test – THREE hour fasting
Testing must begin before 9:00 AM
Call 225-924-8391 to schedule your glucose testing appointment
- Monday-Friday, 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM
We are closed on the following holidays below:
- Good Friday
- Mardi Gras Tuesday
- Memorial Day
- 4th of July
- Labor Day
- Day after Thanksgiving
- Christmas Eve
- New Years Eve
- New Years Day
The Departments of Laboratory Services provides stat and routine clinical laboratory and anatomic pathology services for hospital inpatients and outpatients, clinic and other non-hospital patients and other providers. Diagnostic services include:
- Anatomic Pathology
- Blood Bank
- Molecular Biology
The Department of Pathology is comprised of other laboratory divisions:
- Pathology Administration
- Specimen Receiving and Processing
- Special Chemistry
- Phlebotomy Services
- Referral Lab through contract agreements with CAP/CLIA certified reference laboratories.
Woman’s Hospital Lab is focused on providing the highest level of service for both our patients and health care providers. The majority of testing is performed on-site which allows Woman’s Lab to achieve rapid turnaround time and produce highly monitored quality results. Most routine tests results will be received by one’s provider the day after the tests are performed. However, certain tests, such as glucose tolerance, may take several days to be completed and those results will then be sent to the physician’s office.
Referral Lab Testing
Woman’s lab is a resource for esoteric laboratory diagnostic testing information. The referral team is available to assist with whatever testing needs one may have. Please be aware test result turnaround times do vary depending on the complexity of the test.
Hours of operation are Monday through Friday, 8:00am to 4:00pm. To reach the Referral Lab, contact the main laboratory line at 225-924-8271.
Patient Instructions for Specimen Collection
Patient Instructions; All Aspects of Collection [pdf]
Instructions include the following:
- Fasting Instructions
- Early Morning Test(s) Instructions
- Urine – Random and 24-Hour Instructions
- Stool Collection Instructions
Pathology Collection Manual
Comments, suggestions and assistance in regards to the improvement of this manual or of services in general is appreciated and can be addressed to the Laboratory Manager.
Pathology Collection Manual [pdf] »
If your patient wishes to utilize Woman’s Medical Laboratory, please print and complete the required information on the form linked below. Please give the form to the patient to present to Woman’s Laboratory.
If you wish to consult with a Pathologist or for more information, please call the Pathology Department at 225-924-8368.
Send Us a Case
This procedure describes best practice for adding tests to a previously collected specimen.
- ELECTRONIC ORDER – For those physician office’s, that have the capability to submit electronic orders to Woman’s Hospital Laboratory, order add-on testing. Contact the main laboratory at 225-924-8271 to ensure that we received the request.
- WRITTEN ORDER - Fax Requisition Form (see above) with add-on testing to laboratory at 225-924-8616. Please call main laboratory at 225-924-8271 to ensure that we received the request.
NOTE: Physician signature is required to add tests to previously collected specimens.
- Laboratory will add on test(s) if possible. If unable to add on, the laboratory will contact the requesting clinic or physician.
- Specimens are kept refrigerated for 7 days at the main laboratory. Please contact laboratory with any add-on questions.
A limited amount of supplies for specimen collection are provided for Woman’s Hospital clients based on utilization of services. Orders are placed and supplies are shipped from our lab to client sites. Please use order forms below when ordering.
Woman’s hospital lab works with PGL (Pathology Group of Louisiana) providing courier service for transport of specimens (clinical and anatomical pathology) to our testing facility. Clients can arrange for scheduled pickups or can call the courier as needed.
Pathology Group of Louisiana
7:00 AM – 5:00 PM
What information do I need to bring with me to the lab?
- A completed order form or prescription from your doctor
- Your insurance card and information
- A photo ID
- Any papers your doctor instructs you to bring to the appointment
How long will my visit last? We make every effort to make your visit as quick as possible, and patients are served on a first come, first served basis. If there are no other patients ahead of you, it will generally take 15 to 20 minutes to complete your paperwork, registration and collect your blood specimen, if indicated.
Do I need to make an appointment for lab work? No appointments are needed for lab work as Woman’s provides service on a first-come, first served basis.
How do I get a copy of my lab results? All laboratory results are sent to the physician requesting the tests. Please contact your physician who ordered the tests, or Woman’s Health Information Management office at 225-924-8127.
Who should I contact with billing questions?
- For questions regarding your Woman’s bill, please contact us at 225-924-8106.
- For questions regarding a professional services bill from the Pathology Group of Louisiana, call 225-769-9993.
Woman’s Laboratory Accreditations
- College of American Pathologists
- Illinois Department of Public Health (Clinical Improvement Act CLIA)
- The Joint Commission (TJC)
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- The Laboratory is inspected and accredited on a bi-annual basis by the College of American Pathologists (CAP)
Woman’s Hospital Accreditations »