Symptoms of Hearing Loss
- Finding it hard to hear people talk when there is background noise
- Finding it hard to hear on the telephone
- Misunderstanding what people are saying
- Thinking that people are mumbling when they are actually speaking clearly
- Often asking people to repeat themselves
- Hissing, roaring or ringing in the ears (tinnitus)
- Finding it hard to hear the television or radio at normal volumes
- Tiredness and irritation caused by trying to hear
- Dizziness or problems with balance
Causes of Hearing Loss
Hearing loss can be hereditary or it can happen due to disease, trauma, or long-term exposure to loud noises or certain types of medications.
Hearing loss can range from mild to a total loss of hearing. Hearing loss often limits the quality of life. It makes it harder for you to talk to others and can cause you and others additional stress.