Our experienced team of specialists is here to help you reach your weight loss goals. We’re with you every step of the way from the surgical procedure to adopting lifestyle changes.
During your initial weight loss surgery consultation, your surgeon will talk with you to explain our bariatric surgery options, including risks and benefits.
Your surgeon will:
- Perform a physical assessment
- Review your goals and medical history to determine if you are a surgical candidate
We hope the consultation is educational and comfortable so you are completely informed when making your decision about weight loss surgery.
After scheduling surgery, you will be contacted to plan a screening morning (within 30 days of your surgery date) in which all your lab work, dietary consultation, radiological and respiratory testing is completed.
Your Weight Loss Surgery Coordinator serves as a facilitator, advocate, motivator and support system throughout your weight loss journey.
The role of the coordinator is to:
- Help you determine if you are a weight loss surgery candidate
- Answer questions
- Review your health insurance policy for weight loss surgery coverage
- Review your financial responsibility
- Direct you to bariatric surgeons who perform weight loss surgery at Woman’s
- Accompany you to all your diagnostic testing appointments
You will meet with your primary care physician, who will review your test results and clear you medically for surgery. If you do not have a primary care physician, the coordinator will arrange a visit with a physician for the purpose of a pre-operative clearance (for an additional fee).
A pre-surgery telephone appointment will take place the last business day before your surgery. The nurse will:
- Let you know when to arrive at Woman’s
- Schedule surgical times
- Give you pre-surgery and post-surgery instructions
- Provide directions to the hospital
- Give you information about parking
A registered dietitian will:
- Teach you about the new lifestyle you’ll lead to ensure success and maintain health
- Create a customized plan for you based on your medical history and preferences
- Meet with you while you’re in the hospital and follow up two weeks after surgery
Woman’s also provides monthly support group meetings, a valuable resource for the weight loss surgery community. The meetings offer education, encouragement and support. Any weight loss surgery patient in the community is welcome to attend.
We hope this gives insight as to how our program is structured and how it may work for you. Please know that our Weight Loss Surgery team is here to serve you as you continue on your journey to a healthier life.