When you learn you have cancer, you want to make sure you get the best possible care. In fact, finding quality care will be one of the most important decisions you’ll make.
We know that you may want to know about issues like life expectancy and quality of life. An informed decision is important, so every year we publish our survival rates for the specific cancers that we treat. Please read more in our Cancer Annual Reports »
Finding a doctor
Woman’s has more than 60 physicians on staff – oncologists, radiation oncologists, surgeons and plastic surgeons – who specialize in cancer. Woman’s physician directory »
Choosing a good hospital
It’s important to find a hospital that has experience treating your type of cancer. Woman’s is Joint Commission accredited and specializes in breast and gynecologic cancers. We meet the highest quality standards, including:
- Silver Commendation by the American College of Surgeons’ Commission on Cancer for quality of patient care through a full continuum of care.
- National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC). Accreditation is only granted to centers that voluntarily commit to provide the best care to patients with breast diseases, and agree to undergo a rigorous on-site performance evaluation.
- Magnet status, a distinction awarded by the American Nurses Credentialing Center in recognition of the highly skilled and dedicated care provided by the patient care staff.
- Breast Imaging Center of Excellence by the American College of Radiology.
- Gynecologic Oncology Group (GOG) research participant. Funded through the National Cancer Institute, the GOG is the only group that focuses its research on women with pelvic cancers in order to compare the best existing treatments with promising new ones.
Woman’s Cancer Registry
Woman’s Cancer Registry is a system designed for data collection, management and analysis for each patient diagnosed with cancer, starting at the time of diagnosis through treatment and for life. This information provides our physicians and researchers with valuable information about how cancers are best diagnosed and treated, as well as the health status of our patients following treatment.
The data collected by Woman’s Cancer Registry team is reported to the Louisiana Tumor Registry and the National Cancer Data Base of the American College of Surgeons’ Commission on Cancer. Woman’s Cancer Registry has been awarded Silver Seals of Excellence by the Louisiana Tumor Registry for two consecutive years.