Last Minute Instructions
The night before your surgery is a time to take care of last-minute details. Be sure to double check your doctor’s orders.
Last Minute Tips
- Take a shower the night before your surgery with Hibiclens (available in Woman's Serendipity Gift Shop and over the counter at most pharmacies) or Dial anti-bacterial soap.
- Put on clean, freshly washed clothes after showering.
- Take another shower the morning of your surgery using the anti-bacterial wash or soap and put on clean, freshly washed clothes to come to the hospital. If you are unable to take a shower, you still need to wash the surgical area thoroughly.
- You may brush your teeth, but do not swallow any water.
- If you have been told to take medications on the day of surgery, take with one ounce (2 tablespoons) of water.
- Give yourself an enema or laxative if you have been told to do so.
- Remove ALL body piercings and jewelry.
- If you are scheduled for reconstructive surgery and have markings from your doctor, use special care not to wash them off.
What NOT To Do Before Your Surgery:
- Do not apply lotions or powders
- Do not suck on mints or chew gum
- Do NOT smoke the morning of your surgery
- For breast surgery patients, do not apply underarm deodorant
- Do not shave the incision site, or anywhere on your body, with a razor the day of surgery