Patients at Woman’s can rest assured that the care they receive is among the best in the nation. Woman’s Breast Cancer Services have been recognized as the top healthcare provider in the region.
Our breast center, imaging services and pathology labs have received numerous honors and accreditation from national health organizations. To receive these honors, our breast cancer services were tested and met or exceeded the rigorous standards set forth by the accreditation centers.
Our Breast Center has been granted three-year/full accreditation designation by the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC), a program administered by the American College of Surgeons. NAPBC Accreditation is awarded to centers that provide the highest level of quality breast care and undergo a rigorous evaluation process and review of their performance. Opened in 1985, Imaging Services at Woman’s is also a Breast Imaging Center of Excellence by the American College of Radiology (ACR). Woman’s has accreditation by both the NAPBC and ACR for excellence in breast care.
To achieve NAPBC full accreditation, Woman’s demonstrated full compliance of NAPBC standards for treating women who are diagnosed with the full spectrum of breast disease. These standards included proficiency in the areas of center leadership, clinical management, research, community outreach, professional education and quality improvement.
Woman’s is the first in Louisiana hospital to receive Breast MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) Accreditation by the American College of Radiology’s (ACR). ACR accreditation was awarded to Woman’s for our high practice standards following a voluntary, rigorous review that meets nationally accepted standards. The review included:
- Woman’s submitted clinical images and corresponding data for each magnet performing breast MRI examinations at their site for image quality review.
- Personnel qualifications were conducted to ensure that Woman’s staff is well qualified, through education and certification, to perform and interpret medical images and administer radiation therapy treatments.
- Woman’s facility equipment was reviewed for adequacy to conduct accurate tests or treatments.
- Our quality control procedures were reviewed to ensure that Woman’s exceeds quality assurance and safety guidelines.
Woman’s Pathology Lab has been continuously recognized by the College of American Pathologists for more than 30 years. The CAP Laboratory Accreditation Program is designed to help laboratories achieve the highest standards of excellence to positively impact patient care. The CAP Laboratory Accreditation Program, begun in the early 1960s, is recognized by the federal government as being equal to or more stringent than the government’s own inspection program.
CAP Accreditation checklists are based on rigorous accreditation standards that are used by the inspection teams as a guide to assess the overall management and operation of a laboratory. Recipients of CAP Accreditation ensure those labs incorporate the development and support of board-certified pathologists and continually evolve to reflect current technology, providing a solid foundation for ensuring excellence in patient safety and compliance.
Woman's Imaging Services was honored by Image Wisely for agreeing to optimize the use of radiation in imaging patients and thereby pledging:
- To put patient safety, health and welfare first by optimizing imaging examinations to use only the radiation necessary to produce diagnostic quality images;
- To convey the principles of the Image Wisely® campaign in order to optimize the use of radiation when imaging patients;
- To communicate optimal patient imaging strategies to referring physicians and to be available for consultation; and
- To routinely review imaging protocols to ensure that the least radiation necessary to acquire a diagnostic quality image is used for each examination.