Breastfeeding is Healthy, Nurturing and Rewarding
Human breast milk is the perfect food for a baby. It can help prevent disease, provide optimum nutrition, promote healthy growth and development, and even lower the risks of allergy and dental problems.
Both Woman's and the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) advocate breastfeeding as the most desirable form of nutrition for infants. Woman's is eager to support and encourage you in your breastfeeding.
Woman's Hospital's Breastfeeding Resources
Woman's is proud to offer many services to help mothers breastfeed, including:
- Professional lactation consultants giving classes on breastfeeding and baby care both before and after your baby is born
- Prenatal education and lactation services at the hospital and Woman’s Center for Wellness
- Private breastfeeding consultations
- Our Mom & Baby Boutique’s wide range of breastfeeding and pumping supplies for sale and rental, so you can head home with everything you need to successfully feed your newborn. Call 225-231-5578 for more information.
- Woman's "Warmline" to answer your breastfeeding questions. Call 225-924-8239.
- A printable breastfeeding chart to mark daily feedings and diaper counts. This helps ensure that your baby is eating and gaining weight appropriately.
- HealthyBR TV Breastfeeding Video
Paying for Breastfeeding Equipment and Resources
If you expect to qualify for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) benefits, sign up as soon as possible by calling your local health unit or WIC site. For more information, call Woman's "Warmline" at 225-924-8239.
Breastfeeding equipment and supplies are tax free
Breast pumps, nursing bras and other breastfeeding supplies for breastfeeding are eligible for an exemption from Louisiana state sales taxes.
|ADDITIONAL COMMUNITY RESOURCES|
- La Leche League International
- Le Leche League of Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana
- Louisiana Zipmilk
- Louisiana WIC (Women, Infants, and Children) State Agency
- Partners for Healthy Babies
- The Louisiana Maternal and Child Health Coalition
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- Family Road of Greater Baton Rouge
- HealthyBR - Breastfeeding