Breastfeeding is Healthy, Nurturing and Rewarding
Human breast milk is the perfect food for a baby. It can help prevent disease, provide optimum nutrition, promote healthy growth and development, and even lower the risk of allergy and dental problems.
Both Woman's and the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) advocate breastfeeding as the optimal form of nutrition for infants. Woman's is eager to support and encourage you in your breastfeeding.
Woman's Hospital's Breastfeeding Resources
Woman's is proud to offer many services to help mothers breastfeed, including:
- Professional lactation consultants giving classes on breastfeeding and baby care both before and after your baby is born
- Prenatal education and lactation services at the hospital’s main campus and at Woman’s Center for Wellness
- Private breastfeeding consultations
- Our Mom & Baby Boutique offering a range of breastfeeding and pumping supplies for sale and rental so that you can head home with everything you need to be successful feeding your newborn, available at 225-231-5578
- A "Warmline" to answer your breastfeeding questions, available at 225-924-8239
- A printable breastfeeding chart to mark daily feedings and diaper counts to make sure your baby is eating and gaining weight appropriately
Paying for Breastfeeding Equipment and Resources
If you expect to qualify for WIC, sign up as soon as possible. Call your local health unit or WIC site. For more information, call Woman's Warmline at 225-924-8239.
Breastfeeding equipment and supplies are tax free
Breast pumps, nursing bras and other supplies for breastfeeding are eligible for an exemption from Louisiana state sales taxes.
|ADDITIONAL COMMUNITY RESOURCES|
- La Leche League International
- Le Leche League of Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana
- Louisiana Zipmilk
- Louisiana WIC (Women, Infants, & Children) State Agency
- Partners for Healthy Babies
- The Louisiana Maternal and Child Health Coalition
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- Family Road of Greater Baton Rouge