Instructions to Prepare for Your Induction of Labor
You will be given a scheduled time for your induction of labor.
Woman’s Hospital will make every effort to accommodate you as close to your scheduled induction as possible. However, on some occasions our labor and delivery unit may be full with patients who are already in labor. As a convenience to you, please call the labor and delivery unit (225-924-8176) at least one hour before you leave home for the hospital, and ask to talk to the charge nurse. She will instruct you to either come to the hospital or to wait at home until a labor room is available. When a room becomes available, the charge nurse will call you to come to the hospital for your induction. Your doctor will be kept informed.
Things to remember:
- Please do not shave or wax your abdomen, thighs, or the area around your vagina for at least 1 week before your Induction of Labor.
- Take a shower the night before your Induction of Labor with an antibacterial soap such as Dial. Dry with a freshly washed towel. Put on clean, freshly washed clothes after showering.
- Take another shower the morning of your Induction of Labor with antibacterial soap, dry with a freshly washed towel and put on clean, freshly washed clothes to come to the hospital.
- Remove all body piercings.
- Follow your doctor’s instructions regarding what you may eat or drink before your scheduled Induction of Labor.
- Be sure to complete OB EXPRESS registration.
- Once you arrive at the hospital, go to the Main Entrance [map PDF]. Tell the Information Desk representative your name and that you are scheduled for an Induction of Labor.
- Report to Admitting [map PDF].
- Please bring in a small tote bag containing comfort items for labor and birth/delivery and the packet of information from your doctor that contains your prenatal history and consents.
- Park the car in any of the visitor lots in front of the Main Entrance. Leave the suitcase with items needed after the birth in the trunk of the car.
- Be sure you have the baby’s car seat properly installed.