Instructions to Prepare for Your Cesarean Delivery
You will be given a scheduled time for your cesarean delivery, and a time to arrive at the hospital.
It is very important you stop eating and drinking before your scheduled surgery. You will be given a time to stop eating and drinking.
Things to remember:
- Please do not shave or wax your abdomen, thighs or the area around your vagina for at least 1 week before your cesarean delivery.
- Take a shower the night before and the morning of surgery using an antibacterial soap such as Dial. Dry with a freshly washed towel. Put on clean, freshly washed clothes to come to the hospital. If you are unable to take a shower, you still need to wash the surgical area thoroughly with antibacterial soap.
- You may brush your teeth but do not swallow any water.
- If you have been told to take medications on the day of surgery, take with one ounce (2 tablespoons) of water.
- Remove ALL body piercings and jewelry.
- Follow your doctor’s instructions regarding what you may eat or drink before your scheduled cesarean delivery.
- Once you arrive at the hospital, go to the Main Entrance [map PDF]. Tell the representative at the information desk your name and that you are scheduled for a cesarean delivery.
- Report to Admitting [map PDF] to register.
- Please bring the packet of information from your doctor that contains your prenatal history and consents.
- Park the car in any of the visitor lots in front of the Main Entrance. Leave the suitcase with items needed after the birth in the trunk of the car.
- Be sure you have the baby’s car seat installed.
- Two support persons over the age of 14 may attend the birth of your baby in the Operating Room.