Before Your SurgeryItems You Should Pack
- A comfortable set of loose-fitting clothes and cotton underpants to wear home after surgery. The waistbands should be loose and comfortable.
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Contact lens case and supplies, if you use them. (You can also wear your glasses to the hospital.)
- Your inhaler, if you have asthma. (Leave all other medications at home.)
If you will be staying overnight at the hospital, also include:
- Slippers (We recommend slippers that you can just slide on your feet.)
- Your advance directive (living will), if you have one
You should also bring any special medical equipment that you use (such as walkers, canes, braces, special shoes). Please clearly mark these items with your name.
We do not allow use of personal or home medical equipment in the hospital (such as nebulizers, cpap units, etc.) due to Patient Safety and Infection Control Standards.
We will provide the medical equipment with a physician’s order. Please communicate any special needs you may have to the nurse during the admission process.
Do not bring valuables. The hospital is not responsible for any lost items.
Do not bring electrical appliances such as fans, heating pads, or coffeepots.
Do not bring candles, incense, or anything with an open flame.
Before Surgery: Making Arrangements at Home and at Work | Preparing Yourself Mentally and Physically | Items You Should Pack | Frequently Asked Questions about General Anesthesia | Instructions for Eating and Drinking | Managing Pain After Surgery | Important Last Minute Instructions