Before SurgeryPreparing Yourself Mentally and Physically for Surgery
There are things you can do to prepare yourself mentally for surgery. Here are some suggestions that may be helpful:
- Practice relaxation exercises
- Perform deep-breathing exercises
- Think positively
- Employ visualization and imaging techniques
- Learn about managing pain after surgery
- Share questions and concerns with your doctor
Also, please call the Woman’s Hospital Social Services Department if you are experiencing anxiety and need to discuss those feelings. Social Services can be reached at 225-924-8456.
It is also very important to prepare yourself physically for surgery. Here are important steps you should do to prepare:
- Eat and drink healthy. Your body needs good nutrition and plenty of liquids to heal, fight infection and avoid dehydration. This is NOT a time for dieting. Drink at least six 8-ounce glasses of fluid per day, preferably water. Examples of other fluids that would be good to drink are fruit juice, lemonade, and decaffeinated beverages.
- Practice the post-operative exercises in this booklet daily so that you are familiar with them. You will need to do them during and after your hospital stay.
- Do not shave or wax your abdomen, thighs, or the area around your vagina for at least a week before surgery. For breast surgery patients, do not shave underarms. Shaving with a razor can nick the skin. This increases the risk of getting a wound infection. If hair needs to be removed for your operation, it will be done at the hospital with special clippers.
Review last minute instructions.
Woman’s Concierge Service
While you are in the hospital, we will be happy to assist you with special requests such as hotel reservation information, transportation arrangements, driving directions, questions about the Baton Rouge area and much more.
Our Concierge Service professionals are available to assist you and your loved ones while you are in the hospital from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm on weekdays and 8:30 am to 3:00 pm on weekends. In the mean time, if you have questions send us an e-mail at email@example.com.
Before Surgery: Making Arrangements at Home and at Work | Preparing Yourself Mentally and Physically | Items You Should Pack | Frequently Asked Questions about General Anesthesia | Instructions for Eating and Drinking | Managing Pain After Surgery | Important Last Minute Instructions