Sometimes the right therapy is aquatic therapy
The aquatic programs at Woman's Center for Wellness offers options for women, men, infants, and children in occupational and physical therapy, as well as a variety of integrated fitness programs.
Because of its unique qualities, water offers many advantages that can be essential in helping some therapy patients achieve success. The buoyancy of water reduces body weight which means less stress on the joints, as well as ease of movement due to light resistance. In short, water therapy makes it possible to offer more options to help not only patients suffering with chronic problems, but many other therapy patients, as well.
We take advantage of our warm water therapy pool to treat a variety of diagnoses. In addition to helping alleviate pain and increase movement, aquatic therapy can help bring patients from an acute/healing state to a strengthening/wellness state while at the same time preventing more problems.
Treated diagnoses include, but are not limited to:
- Orthopedic conditions
- Arthritis (osteo and rheumatoid)
- Degenerative disc / joint disease
- Prenatal lower back pain
- Lower extremity lymphedema
- Generalized weakness / deconditioning
- Gait and balance disturbance
Specialized aquatic therapy programs include:
- Supervised instruction by a therapist with a doctor's order
- Forward Motion for discharge aquatic therapy patients who are unable to move into a fitness aquatic program
- Swim Strong is designed to assist boys and girls, ages 5 to 18 years, with decreased, strength, endurance and motor control. This class helps them transition from physical/occupational therapy to traditional swim lessons or to the use of a community pool.
If you or an adult family member is experiencing difficulty, please consult your physician regarding the need for therapy at Woman's. You may contact the Therapy department at 225-924-8450 for information regarding scheduling, insurance verification, or for additional information regarding treatment options for your specific condition.
View our adult therapy photo gallery >>