Are You Ready Physically for Pregnancy?
We offer so much that you need to become healthy and fit in preparation for conceiving and carrying a baby. As you follow the March of Dimes Pre-Pregnancy checklist, you may enjoy many wellness classes and programs, join our Fitness Club or look to us for nutritional guidance.
The physical health of the mom and dad before pregnancy affect the health of their future baby. There are specific things you can do to help your baby even before you’re pregnant. It’s important to be as informed about your health as possible before conception.
A baby’s organs begin to form in the first four weeks of pregnancy, before many women even know they are pregnant. Use our Doctor Directory to help select your doctor.
What you can do:
- Take a multivitamin with 400 micrograms (mcg) of folic acid every day before pregnancy.
- Get a pre-pregnancy checkup, including a dental checkup.
- Eat healthy food, maintain a healthy weight and get fit.
- Stop smoking and avoid secondhand smoke.
- Stop drinking alcohol.
- Don’t use illegal drugs.
- Avoid infections because some can harm a fetus.
- Avoid hazardous substances and chemicals.
- Talk to you health care provider about your family history, genetics and birth defects.
- Avoid stress.