November 13, 2012
Conference Room 2
7:30 AM Registration, 8:00 AM - 3:40 PM Program
Registration includes refreshements, resource materials and contact hours.
(See below for registration information)
8:00 - 9:00 AM- Getting to the Great: The Power of One
Sue Neumann, BSN, MS, RN_OB, C-EFM, CPHRM (1.0 contact hour)
- Identify essential process imporvement elements required for Magnet submission.
- Evaluate sources for selecting a process improvement project.
- Explain the power of one small test of change.
9:00 - 10:00 AM - Social Media: A Brave new World of Liability
Joan Ellis, PhD, RNC, CNS, CNE (1.0 contact hour)
- Critically analyze the significance of social media in today's healthcare arena.
- Describe ethical-legal pitfalls inherent in the misuse of social media.
- Discuss strategies utilized to avoid social media liability issues.
10:00 - 10:15 AM - Break
10:15 - 11:15 AM- ROBOTS....Really!!!! Nursing and Technology: Past, Present, and Future
Cynthia Thomas, RN, BSN, CNOR (1.0 contact hour)
- Discuss trends in nursing relevant to technology.
- Review pros and cons of technology in nursing practice.
- Discuss changes in surgery relevant to advanced technology and the use of robotics.
11:15 - 12:00 - Lunch
12:00 - 1:00 PM - Transforming Ideas into Action: Making the nursing Research Process Work
James Maryman,RN, BSN (1.0 contact hours)
- Discuss how to overcome the obstacles to sucessfully launching a nursing reasearh project.
- Identify resources available to the bedside nurse to support research projects.
- Formulate a research proposal.
1:00 - 2:00 PM - NICU Performance Improvement Update 2012
Cliff Richardson, APRN, NNP-BC (1.0 contact hour)
- Discribe the mission of the Vermont Oxford Network.
- Identify practice changes made in the NICU in an effort to reduce healthcare-associated infections.
- Discuss the use of value measures in the Chronic Lung Disease Prevention Project in the NICU setting.
2:00 - 2:15 PM - Break
2:15 - 3:15 PM - The Journing to Improving Perinatal Care
Cheri Johnson,BSN, RNC-OB (1.0 contact hour)
- Summarize the purpose and intent of the IHI Collaborative.
- Explain the "idealized design" in terms of perinatal bundles.
- Critically analyze current IHI data from a patient outcomes perspective.
3:15 - 3:30 PM - Evaluation
Target Audience: RN's and other health care providers
Contact Hours as stated above are awarded to each program by Woman's Hospital, Baton Rouge, LA an approved provider of continuing nursing education by the Louisiana State Board of Nursing, Provider #19.
Registration for each program will be conducted 15 minutes prior to the beginning of the program.
Participants may attend all or as few as one program.
Cost is $11 per class and $50 for all five classes.
Participants may attend all programs or as few as one program.
5.0 Contact Hours are awarded for If all programs are attended.
To register for single classes, please contact Educational Services at 225-924-8301